Welcome to my Blog

I am a writer so all things about people, writing and books interests me.

Sunday, June 26, 2005

Progress!


Jacket Cover of my third novel.

First novel - DAUGHTER OF SHAME
Second - BY LIES BETRAYED
Fourth - NO CHILD OF MINE
Fifth - THE STOLEN BABY published in pb May 2005
Sixth - HER MOTHER'S SINS to be published in pb May 2006











After a barren couple of days I have now completed chapter 3 and am well on with chapter 4. I am telling the story in a linear/chronological mode at present. However, I have not altogether given up the idea of opening with an explosive chapter from later down the line , and then jumping backwards in time to explain the action and motives.

Starting with a powerful action scene grabs the reader's attention, but there won't be time or space to explain the reasons for character's action - for example - a woman giving her child away appears callous to the reader if this happens in the first chapter and there is no real explanation of why she does it - but it takes time to explain that this drastic step is to save the child's life. At the same time you can't afford for the reader to jump to the wrong conclusion - if she takes a dislike to your main character then that's it. You've had it.

I'll continue working in chronological mode until more of the story materialises - I must not second guess myself. The right starting point will work through eventually I am certain.

No comments: